Best laptops for students are the ones that are powerful enough to handle the multitasking habits of the student, have a lightweight design and a long battery life.
Running a text editor for writing papers along with a photo/video editing software to create some additional graphics and browsing the web to learn more about the subjects they study is quite a common example of multitasking among students.
And since college is not only about the learning experience, but the social experience as well, instant messaging programs and online games are guaranteed to be found on a student’s laptop nowadays. This asks again for a powerful laptop that will be capable to satisfy the student’s needs for the next years he’ll be studying. You may even want to consider a top notch laptop especially if the student is a freshman.
With all this in mind, we’ve created an updated list with best laptops for students.
Apple MacBook Pro – Best Student Laptop
The 13.3-inch MacBook Pro is a powerful notebook, a perfect fit for anything from video production to programming. With an innovative aluminum unibody design, its excellent high-resolution Retina display, latest generation of Intel core CPUs, 8GB of RAM, up to 512 GB of flash storage, and eight-to-ten hours of battery life, this is one of the best laptops for students. See prices and reviews for the latest Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
ASUS ZenBook UX305UA – Ultraportable Student Laptop
- 13.3-Inch Full-HD IPS Anti-Glare Matte Display with an Ultra-wide 170° Viewing Angle
- Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i5 6200U 2.3GHz (Turbo up to 2.8GHz) Skylake Processor
- Networking : Integrated 802.11 ac (WiFi), Bluetooth 4.0 support
- Interface : 1 x COMBO audio jack, 2 x USB 3.0 port(s), 1 x USB 2.0 port(s), 1 x micro HDMI, 1X AC adapter plug
- 8 GB RAM/ 256 GB SSD Solid State Drive; 10-Hours Battery Life. 1.2 MP High Definition Webcam, Designed to be ultra-slim with an all-aluminum body
Acer Aspire E 15 – Budget Student Laptop
- 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (Up to 2.8GHz)
- 15.6-inch Full HD Display, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB DDR5 VRAM
- 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD
- Windows 10 Home; Backlit Keyboard
- Up to 12-hours Battery Life; 6-cell Li-Ion (2800 mAh) Battery
ASUS F556UA-AS54 – Affordable Student Laptop
- 15.6-Inch Full-HD Display with Windows 10 Pre-installed
- Powerful Intel i5-6200U 2.3 GHz Processor (Turbo to 2.8 GHz)
- 256GB Solid-State Drive for blazing-fast boot times and program launches
- Best-in-class connectivity with included HDMI/D-SUB/USB Type C and 802.11a/c WiFi
- Long-lasting 38 Whr polymer battery 2.5 times the lifespan of standard Li-ion
Samsung NP900X5L-K02US – Multimedia Student Laptop
- Intel Core i7 2.5 GHz
- 8.0 GB DDR3
- 256.0 GB Solid-State Drive
- 15.0-Inch Screen, Shared
- Windows 10 Home
Dell i7559-763BLK – Gaming Student Laptop
- Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Quad-Core (6M Cache, Turbo up to 3.2 GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
- 8 GB DDR3L / 256 GB Solid-State Drive
- 15.6-Inch FHD IPS, Wide-Angle, Anti Glare Screen.
Best Laptops For Students – Key Factors
A student needs a laptop that will load the programs fast, a lightweight laptop so it won’t be a burden when moving from class to class, with a long battery life so it won’t run out of power when he needs it the most.
Performance: While there’s no need to overbuy in power, it’s good practice to go for laptops with latest generation of Intel core processors and 8GB RAM. This will ensure that all applications will run smoothly and you won’t have to change the laptop for the next couple of studying years.
Portability: There’s nothing worse than moving around trough campus with a bulky laptop that’s uncomfortable and heavy to carry. A small, 13 to 15 inch, and lightweight laptop will fit in most backpacks alongside textbooks and other study materials.
Battery Life: Look for laptops with a good battery, preferably one that can last up to 12h.
The listings above are what we consider to be the best laptops for students in 2016. If you need more details about any of the laptops we’ve listed, just follow the links to read the customer reviews and learn everything there is to know about each particular model.
If you still haven’t found a student laptop you can check our list of top rated laptops.